Courtesy of the Council of San Benito County Governments:
In May 2019, Caltrans initiated construction on a roadway safety improvement project to correct the super elevation and widen the existing shoulders along Highway 25 from Sunnyslope/Tres Pinos Rd. to San Felipe Road in Hollister.
Caltrans notes that the state-funded project will improve alignment consistency, traffic flow, and safety. Improvements will include: constructing a curve correction, widening shoulders, flattening and seeding embankment slopes, improving drainage facilities, adding sidewalks and reconstructing curb ramps, and replacing signal loop detectors.
Specifically, the work between Santa Ana and Sunset Drive includes:
- Shoulder widening to accommodate minimum shoulder width and standard bike lanes at the NW and SE corners at San Felipe and Hillcrest Rd.
- ADA curb ramp improvements at Sunnyslope, East Park St, Hillcrest, Meridian, Santa Ana, and San Felipe intersections
- Drainage and stormwater improvements throughout the limits of the project
- Signal/Lighting modification at Sunnyslope/Tres Pinos, Hillcrest, Meridian, Santa Ana and San Felipe.
- New sidewalk south of Hillcrest to Santa Ana (Southbound side)
The project is expected to be complete in December 2019. Some lane closures may affect travel times.
For the work currently underway between Santa Ana and San Felipe, it is estimated that the lane switch to the Northbound lanes will be completed June 17. The lane switch to southbound lanes will run from June 17 to July 26, 2019. These dates may change, dependent on the contractor. Caltrans notes that the contractor is making every effort to stay on schedule.
Questions should be directed to Caltrans District 5 Public Affairs Office: (805) 549-3138.
View the project fact sheet here.
View the project press release here.