Courtesy of San Benito High School:
I would like to give a giant “thank you” from the bottom of my heart to a group of very special people during Autism Awareness Month: Casandra Guerrero and Breanna Brooks, our Circle of Friends advisors, brainstormed and coordinated activities, shared information with the community, and supported guided officers through this exciting week. We are looking forward to our Virtual Prom tonight (April 17) from 5-6 p.m.. Thank you to Catalina Lemos for her provided guidance and time provided for ASB to work on this event. Thank you to Adam Breen for posting information on social media. A big thank you to the SBHS administration, but especially Deborah Armstrong for making Autism Awareness a priority and rearranging the wellness calendar to allow for Inclusion Week. Thank you to Linda Torres for collecting gift certificates to be raffled at the Prom and Brian DeCarli for his help the “special surprise guest” tonight.
This thank you would not be complete without remembering all the work our Circle of Friends students put forth:
- Francesca Giannotta: CoF president who coordinated, organized, and ran the meeting. She is also part of ASB Unified Prom Committee.
- Bela Bothelo: PR Officer who created weekly and daily fliers for Inclusion Week.
- Eleana Diaz: Ability Awareness Officer, who coordinated spirit days, created collages of people participating to be shared on social media, and found additional resources to be posted each day.
- Katelyn Vass: Events Coordinator, who made the Prom slideshow.
- Christian Chavez: ASB AV Coordinator, who with his team made the playlist for Prom (thank you all even if I did not name you!)
- Kayla Sanchez: ASB Unified Prom Chairperson
- Lifeskills students and teachers for voting on such an amazing Prom theme – “Rapunzel’s Enchanted Garden.”
And last but not least, thank you to the entire CoF Officer Board for being such great FRIENDS and coming together with ideas and planning:
President Francesca Giannotta; Vice President Nadia Gonzales; Events Coordinator Katelyn Vass; Secretary Yasmin Martinez; Social Media Coordinator Amanda Brantome; Public Relations Coordinator Bela Botelho; Ability Awareness Coordinator Ellie Diaz; Gifted Sports Coordinator Audrey Armstrong; Treasurer Vanessa Ramirez; Friend Liaison Karen Balderas; Lead Friend Liaison Andrew Minina; Friend Liaisons Jaqueline Diaz; Classroom Representatives Cooper Aiello, Elizabeth Villa, Bryan Jean Pierre, Matthew Moulton and Steven Alvarado Urtez.
Please accept my most sincere thanks. You are all very very important and special in our community.
Dr. Paulette Cobb
Director of Special Education, SBHSD