After previously declaring property tax penalty fees could be deferred with a waiver, San Benito County is now waiving all such charges until May 3 when the current shelter in place order is lifted.
The county tax collector’s office previously said residents could apply for a waiver if they could not pay by the April 10 due date because of the COVID-19 pandemic. On Thursday, the county released the following:
Melinda Casillas, Tax Collector/Treasurer updated tax collection information and procedures for our current Shelter in Place order.
- Property taxes that were due 4/10/2020 without penalty – No penalty waiver needed
- The Tax Collector’s office is waiving penalties until 5/3/2020 in response to the Shelter in Place order for any property tax payment that was due between 3/1/2020 and 4/10/2020. – No penalty waiver needed
- Payments made between 5/4/2020 and 6/30/2020 – A penalty waiver will be needed
- Penalty waiver form can be found here: Penalty Waiver
- Good ONLY for installment payments with due dates from 03/01/2020 through June 30, 2020.
- Installment payments due prior to 03/01/2020 will NOT be considered.
- Complete this form and attach requested supporting documentation.
- Submit along with payment of installment as if paid timely; DO NOT include late penalties or fees.
The penalty waiver is available to assist taxpayers affected by the COVID-19 to pay their taxes without the additional burden of penalties and late fees. The form is also available on the tax collectors website here: Tax Collector and in the office. For any questions or concerns please call the office at 831-636-4034 or email email@example.com