San Benito County on Tuesday reported that there have been 29 businesses deemed non-essential and told to close since the start of the shelter in place order due to COVID-19.
Health and Human Services Director Tracey Belton relayed that number to the board Tuesday. The county’s shelter in place order, enacted through May 3, lists off activities that are considered essential and are, therefore, permitted to stay open. Some businesses did not comply, however, and were told they had to close.
Belton said the county had received 182 calls to an anonymous hotline established for residents to report non-complying businesses. That number is (831) 636-4113.
Previously on April 8, the county noted there had been nine businesses told to close at the time. One business, a smoke shop on San Benito Street, refused to initially comply and had its business license revoked.
Belton also noted how several investigations are pending on the matter. The county did not provide a list of the businesses as it had when there were nine situations where businesses had to be closed down.
In San Benito County, there had been 44 confirmed cases of coronavirus as of Monday afternoon with two deaths. Just two of the cases are considered active.
County officials indicated they are hoping to relax some of the local shelter in place restrictions, but that depends on what the state says going forward as well.