San Benito County has a second confirmed case of coronavirus, officials announced Tuesday afternoon.
The public health officer reported a 42-year-old male has been infected with COVID-19, the disease associated with coronavirus. Public health confirmed the case Tuesday morning, said Public Health Officer Dr. Marty Fenstersheib.
He did so at a press conference at 2 p.m. Thursday where county officials also announced a shelter in place order that bars residents from going out for anything other than essential needs.
This comes after a confirmed case of coronavirus last week in San Benito County. There are now two active cases, while two people who contracted COVID-19 in late January or early February no longer have the illness.
Fenstersheib said the infected resident is a resident of Hollister who works in Santa Clara County, where there have been over 150 confirmed cases. The resident is in home isolation, he said.
“We don’t seem to see any other potential for exposure,” the health officer said.
Look back for more, including video from the press conference.
Photo caption: County Public Information Officer David Westrick addresses the small crowd Tuesday.