The Hollister Police Department issued a reminder about potential dangers with expected heat Saturday in the local area.
According to the heat advisory alert:
HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 8 PM PDT SATURDAY… The National Weather Service in San Francisco has issued a Heat Advisory, which is in effect from 11 AM to 8 PM PDT Saturday.
* TIMING… 11 AM TO 8 PM SATURDAY
* LOCATIONS… Most of the inland Greater San Francisco Bay Area (excluding coastal areas and the San Francisco peninsula itself), inland Monterey county, and inland San Benito county. For the San Francisco Bay Shoreline… main heat risk is primarily from Redwood City to Cupertino.
* TEMPERATURES… Temperatures will generally be 15 to 20 degrees above normal on Saturday. Widespread temperatures in the mid 90s to low 100s in the impacted areas are expected. The hottest inland locations such as Pinnacles National Park and the extreme inland Napa, Sonoma, and possibly Contra Costa counties may surpass 105 degrees. The urban areas of San Francisco and Oakland are excluded from this heat advisory, however, but are still forecast to hover in the mid to upper 80s range on Saturday while San Jose will hover in the mid to upper 90s. For the San Francisco Bay Shoreline, the main heat risks are generally from Redwood City to Cupertino where triple digit temperatures are forecast, while other areas of the shoreline will be noticeably cooler.
* IMPACTS… Moderate to high risk of heat related illness especially for vulnerable populations during the day Saturday. Increased number of visitors to coastal communities and beaches to escape heat, leading to increased necessity of water rescues. Exacerbation of severe fire weather conditions, especially in the North and East Bay hills and mountains.
* AFFECTED AREAS: EAST BAY HILLS AND THE DIABLO RANGE … EAST BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS … MOUNTAINS OF SAN BENITO COUNTY AND INTERIOR MONTEREY COUNTY INCLUDING PINNACLES NATIONAL PARK … NORTH BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS … NORTH BAY MOUNTAINS … SAN FRANCISCO BAY SHORELINE … SANTA CLARA VALLEY INCLUDING SAN JOSE … SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS … SANTA LUCIA MOUNTAINS AND LOS PADRES NATIONAL FOREST … SOUTHERN SALINAS VALLEY, ARROYO SECO AND LAKE SAN ANTONIO
A Heat Advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is expected. Hot temperatures will create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids…stay in an air- conditioned room…stay out of the sun…and check up on relatives and neighbors.