The Hollister Police Department sent a notice that on Oct. 18, the Earthquake Country Alliance will conduct its 10th annual “The Great California ShakeOut”. Millions of participants will be conducting safety drills, according to the HPD.
The HPD encourages locals to visit https://www.shakeout.
At that site, the organization notes how:
Participating is a great way for your family or organization to be prepared to survive and recover quickly from big earthquakes– wherever you live, work, or travel.
The site offers resources for families, nonprofits, schools and other entities in planning for the drill and preparing for an earthquake. Below, see its list of ways individuals and families can prepare for next week’s shakeout drill:
- Register to be counted in the ShakeOut Drill, get email updates, and more.
Between now and October 18:
- Talk to other people about what they have done, and encourage them to join you in getting more prepared.
- Download Audio and Video “Drill Broadcast” recordings that have been created in English and Spanish to provide instructions during your drill (Video versions have text captions).
- Drop, Cover, and Hold On: Drop to the ground, take Cover under a table or desk, and Hold On to it as if a major earthquake were happening (stay down for at least 60 seconds). Practice now so you will immediately protect yourself during earthquakes! (See this page for what to do if you are in bed, outside, driving, in a tall building, or other situations.) For people with disabilities or access and functional needs, download our preparedness guide (661 KB) PDF.
- While still under the table, or wherever you are, look around and imagine what would happen in a major earthquake. What would fall on you or others? What would be damaged? What would life be like after? What will you do before the actual earthquake happens to reduce losses and quickly recover?
- (Optional) Practice what you will do after the shaking stops.
For more on how to participate, go to: https://www.shakeout.org/california/howtoparticipate/