Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital will host an open house and ribbon cutting for the new Barragan Family Health Care & Diabetes Center on Saturday, according to an announcement from the healthcare district.
The open house is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the diabetes center, 930 Sunnyslope Road, Ste. !-2.
The ribbon cutting is set for noon. Also on tap, there will be healthy cooking demonstrations. Local residents can meet the hospital’s endocrinologists and staff, and they can learn about the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program.
The Hazel Hawkins Hospital Foundation in early 2016 announced the Barragan family was making the second-largest donation in the hospital’s history to create the diabetes center, which includes wound care among a host of other services.
Mary Ann Barragan, long time resident of Hollister, made the donation. Her late husband Ray Barragan suffered from diabetes.
According to the hospital, services provided at the Diabetes Center include:
- Point of Care Lab Services for A-1C
- Podiatry/Foot Care
- Retinal Screening
- Wound Care
- Patient Care
- Insulin Pumps – Initiation, Management and Training
- Diabetes Patient Education including New Onset Diabetes Classes
- Family Medicine/Primary Care
- Weight Loss Programs for Diabetics
- Nutrition Therapy
- Point of Care Lab Services – glucose, urine, hemoglobin
- Continuous Glucose Monitors
- Gestational Diabetes Education and Management