Courtesy of San Benito High School:
San Benito High School welcomed 19 new teachers (above) to the staff for the 2019-20 school year. The teachers worked together during a weeklong orientation Aug. 5-9, in which they received professional development on lesson planning, teaching strategies, classroom management and learned about the Baler STRONG philosophy.
The new teachers were introduced to the entire staff during a Welcome Back In-Service, were welcomed during the Board of Trustees’ meeting on Aug. 13 and were announced at the Kickoff Rally in Andy Hardin Stadium on Aug. 16.
Teacher Support Program Induction Coordinator Kathy Picchi led the new teachers through team-building activities with a highlight on personal narrative presentations. The teachers wrapped up their week with a lunch at Fisher’s restaurant with administrators, division chairs, and members of the Board of Trustees. SBHS culinary teacher Mike Fisher prepared the food and former Baler students served the teachers.
Picchi provided some quotes that the new teachers had at the end of their orientation:
“Thank you so much for putting on an event like this,” one new teacher said. “After talking with friends from other schools who did not get something like this to help them, I feel a lot more confident in being part of this school.”
Another teacher shared: “This week has shown me all the amazing things this school has to offer. I am so thankful to start the school year with such a supportive staff.”
The district welcomed new classified staff members, including Kaycee Day (principal’s secretary), Jesse Esqueda (aquatics, athletics and P.E. complex maintenance technician), Dawn Honeycutt (Secretarial Center clerk), Marissa Valadez (accounting clerk), and special education instructional aides Brent Bonura, Naomi Sands and Stephanie Montezuma.
Nine SBHS teachers were announced as having achieved tenure (they are shown in the second photo). They are: Emily Burley, Joan Burley, Jazmine Garcia, Erik Martin, Christine Dukes, Kevin Medieros, Norisa Ramos, Liliana Ruiz and Tracey Torres.
The new teachers and their subject matter are:
- Rebecca Caladio (English)
- Crystal Zavala (English)
- Chelsea Faria (CTE Agriculture)
- Emily Herzog (CTE Agriculture)
- Nicole Alvarez (Math)
- Madeline Frederickson (Math)
- Jesus Claro (Math)
- Alysia Taormina (Science)
- Haley Vlastelicia (Science)
- Dan Brown (Physical Education)
- Kristina Peterson (Physical Education)
- Karla Fernandez (Spanish)
- Anthony Libit (American Sign Language)
- David Bunton (Modified Physical Education)
- Anthony DelReal (Special Education STEPS)
- Jennifer Dudley (Special Education SDC English)
- Natalie Kumura (Special Education SDC Social Science)
- Aisling Maher (Special Education Life Skills)
- Brianna Teimoorian (Speech and Language Pathologist)