Courtesy of Dr. Kathleen Rose, superintendent and president of Gavilan College:
November is the month to show gratitude and this month’s column is going to focus on just that.
I have many expressions of thanks to give this month! As the leaves turn color on Sycamore Lane, temperatures begin to cool and the sun goes down at 4 p.m., the season has changed and the semester is drawing to a close. Thanksgiving is two weeks away.
November is one of my favorite months of the year, and Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, in part because of the memories I have of my childhood on the farm where I grew up in upstate New York with my family. November is the beginning of winter, the harvest season, the season of gratitude and quiet reflection. But this year here at Gavilan, for me it means much more.
The passage of Measure X this past week was a historic event that was unprecedented and involved each of you. The college can now move forward. Together we can create an incredible future for the students who will be here for decades to come. We will be able to design, imagine, dream and grow the college that we have been talking about for months and to serve the communities around us in innovative ways. So, thank you!
- Thank you for walking precincts and talking to neighbors and community members about Measure X.
- Thank you for phone banking and leaving voice mails and text messages about Measure X.
- Thank you for giving of your time and energy in serving on a focus group for the Facilities Master Plan or for the Educational Master Plan.
- Thank you for VOTING for Measure X and encouraging others to do so.
- Thank you for displaying a yard sign in support of Measure X.
- Thank you for asking others to display a yard sign in support of Measure X.
- Thank you for donating to the Measure X Campaign or for attending one of our events in support of the measure.
In the weeks ahead you will be hearing about the next steps in the bond process, the formation of the Citizens’ Oversight Committee and a webpage to provide bond updates as well as the Report to the Community. But for now, in this month of gratitude, know how deeply you are valued and appreciated, each and every day, for the contributions you make to the college and the communities we serve.
It is my honor to serve with you!
Thank you to our Veterans for your service, Happy Thanksgiving to all, and enjoy the final days of the fall semester.