Courtesy of Gavilan College:
Starting this fall, Gavilan College can provide the first year of full-time enrollment free to new students. The Gavilan College Promise waives enrollment fees for students through both the College Promise Grant (formerly Board of Governors’ fee waiver) and the new California College Promise.
Over 300 students qualified this fall.
“The combination of the two Promise programs extend the promise of higher education to students who may not have qualified for fee waivers in the past,” said Kathleen Moberg, Vice President of Student Services.
Additional bridge loans and book voucher programs are also being developed.
Students who graduated from high school in 2018 but have not enrolled in college yet will be eligible to apply for the Gavilan College Promise for Spring 2019, while those who are already enrolled may be able to have their fees refunded if they meet the criteria.
First-year enrollment at Gavilan College is FREE to any 2018 graduating senior who:
- is a first-time-to-college student for fall 2018 or spring 2019
- is a California resident or AB540 student
- completes ONE of the following applications for financial aid:
- FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- California Dream Act Application
- enroll full time (minimum of 12 units each semester)
- complete Kick-Start Orientation
- develop an individualized Educational Plan with a Gavilan counselor
- maintain full-time status through the semester
- remain in good academic standing at Gavilan College (by completing classes with a GPA of 2.0 or above.)
For more information, contact Veronica Martinez, Director of Financial Aid, at firstname.lastname@example.org.