About 50 people were evacuated from the Lassen Court area on Hollister’s west side due to a gas leak at a residence.
The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon. As of 3:45 p.m., the evacuees remained at the local elementary school, Fire Chief Bob Martin Del Campo told San Benito Live.
According to the chief, a residence’s meter broke and could not be shut off, causing the continuous leak. Crews arrived to shut off the resident’s gas, but it’ll be a couple hours before the home’s gas is turned back on.
“It’s just a safety precaution,” Martin Del Campo said.
PG&E construction crews were on the way. Emergency responders called in the Department of Transportation to help transport the evacuees to the school.
The chief said the department has two engines on scene, one to be there just in case of a fire situation and another to help guide evacuees into the school’s multipurpose room.