The deadline for the COVID-19 business grants administered by San Benito County has been extended to July 27, and the nonprofit grant has been extended to July 31.
Local businesses now have until 5 p.m. July 27 after the previous deadline of July 20, and nonprofits previously had a deadline of July 17. The grants are being allocated from federal funds for local COVID-19 relief.
According to information from the county about the business program:
This grant program is open to all San Benito County business owners with a current business license allowing them to operate in San Benito County. A grant is not a loan that needs to be repaid. Please direct questions to SmallBusiness@cosb.us or call (831) 637-5627. Help is available for completing the application, and bilingual services are available.
The purpose of the grant program is to assist small businesses with expenses associated with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. To mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on San Benito County businesses and their employees, the County has committed up to $1,500,000 in one-time funds to create a Small Business Assistance Grant Program. The objective of this program is to offer immediate financial assistance and small businesses located in San Benito County to aid in maintaining their business and workforce.
Grants of up to $15,000 may be used for expenses associated with re-opening your business in compliance with state and local requirements, payroll, business lease or rent, business telework equipment costs; inventory acquisition (inventory needed to reopen or maintain open status); personal protective equipment (PPE) purchase, Facility Readiness (social distancing preparedness, business modifications, etc.), or other expenses specifically related to helping your business continue to operate.
Funding will be limited to business operating within San Benito County. Priority will be given to businesses who were deemed non-essential and rated on three tier criteria. We anticipate more requests for grants than available funds; therefore, meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee funding. Prior to filling out the application for up to $15,000 grants. The grant funds must be solely used for expenditures that occur between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020 and fall under one or more of the following categories:
- Applicants must verify the business has experienced an economic loss of income due to COVID-19 by completing the Estimated Disaster Economic Injury Worksheet and submit a current copy of its W-9
- Applicants must have been in operation in the County of San Benito for at least one year as of March 1, 2020 and have under than 100 full-time employees.
- The business must remain open at least 30 days after receiving grant funding, otherwise business must return the Business Relief Grant funds.
- Applicants must have an active Business License, a copy is required at submission and be in good standing with the local jurisdiction and State. Applicants who are involved or have been involved in legal or financial issues may not qualify.
- Prioritizing business that have not received either SBA Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) or SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) or other SBA, government or other grant source related to COVID-19.
- Applicants operating out of a physical storefront within the County limits of San Benito will be prioritized.
- Prioritizing locally and independently owned Business.
Grant Application Forms (click to view and print)
Direct Link to County Grant program on County Website
As for the nonprofit grants:
COVID-19 Relief: Recovery applications are available for nonprofit organizations serving San Benito County. Recovery grants will be awarded for nonprofit organizations that provide emergency-related services, food, shelter, health, and mental health services to San Benito County. Recovery Grants will also be awarded for nonprofits that have experienced unexpected costs due to the COVID-19 pandemic including, but not limited to, the following:
- NEW: Reimbursement of loss revenue due to nonprofit interruption cost (must provide a proof i.e. a statement showing profit from prior year compared to this year. These grant funds must be used for expenditures that occur between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020).
- Assist nonprofit organizations that are experiencing staffing and/or volunteer gaps due to quarantines and social distancing.
- Fund programming to address the related-mental health impact of COVID-19.
- Other operational expenses related to shifts in direct service plans or the provision of emergency services.
NEW Deadline for Recovery Grant application is Friday, July 31, 2020
You can find the application, resources, other materials, and information on our website.
COVID-19 Relief Fund Recovery Grant Cycle Important Dates to Remember:
Application Period Opens: Friday, June 26, 2020
Application Deadline: Friday, July 31, 2020
Decisions Announced: Friday, August 28, 2020
Funding Deadline: Friday, September 18, 2020