California public schools will not reopen this school year, according to a San Francisco Chronicle story that attributes the decision to the state superintendent.
According to the Chronicle story published Tuesday afternoon, Superintendent Tony Thurmond gave the guidance – the article says it is not a directive – for districts to start announcing closures for the school year ending in June.
The newspaper reported that a letter obtained by the Chronicle says it is meant to alleviate pressure from districts who were seeking guidance – and to allow for a commitment to distance learning through the school year.
Districts throughout San Benito County had been planning to close through May 1 as of this week.
Look back for more.